Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Family Dinner

Last week, my grandma was in the hospital for a serious heart condition that we did not know she had.  She needed to stay in the hospital for 3 nights and 4 days.  It was a scary time.  I do realize that she will be 81 in May, but I have always been around her and even though she can sometimes grate on my nerves, I would be dreadfully sad without her.

That's what made this family dinner so much better... knowing that she is still around to tell me when to turn into the parking lot, even though I live in the same town she does.  For her to tell me how to get to the grocery store, for her to ask me 9 times in 2 minutes what my plans are for the night... etc.  I know these things annoy me at times now, but I will be sad when they no longer occur.

Tonight we had family dinner to celebrate life and I made a cake for dessert.  No, it is not from my Bon Appetit Dessert Cookbook.  However, it is a Paula Deen recipe.  I have been watching the food network non-stop these days and boy am I glad that I have!  I came across this 'Pink Lemonade' cake recipe.







By: Paula Deen

Cake:

1  (18- 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix

1  teaspoon finely grated lemon zest

2  teaspoons vanilla extract

3 Tablespoons sweetened pink lemonade drink powder


Frosting:

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

1  pound confectioner's sugar

5  Tablespoons frozen pink lemonade concentrate

1  teaspoon vanilla

1  teaspoon finely grated lemon zest



Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 2 (8-inch) round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper or waxed paper.
Prepare the cake batter according to the package directions. To the batter, stir in the lemon zest, vanilla, and pink lemonade powder. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Carefully turn the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting by beating together the confectioners' sugar and remaining 1 cup butter until fluffy. Beat in the remaining frosting ingredients until combined.
Transfer one cake to a cake stand or large platter. Using an offset spatula, spread the top of the cake with a layer of frosting. Place the second cake on top of the first. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of both layers.





Everyone enjoyed the cake and we will continue to enjoy it over the next few days.  Please try this fast and easy cake!  Oh, and Happy Spring!  Don't forget to celebrate life everyday because you never know when it is going to cease.

No comments:

Post a Comment