Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Kids Camp 2011

Since coming to Oceanside, I started going to a new church.  I figured if I was going to be here for the entire summer, I might as well get connected with a church here and try to meet new people, and get involved.

Well, I have done that very thing.  This week is kids camp.  At first I really did not want to volunteer, but the pastor's wife asked if I would.  So, of course I said yes.  On Monday, I had a bad attitude about the whole thing.  I didn't want to get up, I didn't want to drive to the church and I didn't want to be stuck with a bunch of kids.  I felt kind of stupid practicing dance moves to the worship songs with the other adults on Sunday.  I mean, I just had an overall bad attitude!

Well, Monday has come and gone.  It is now Wednesday and I am so glad that I am a counselor.  I have six kids in my group and they are great.  Two guys and four girls.  Believe it or not, the guys are more into the dancing than the girls are.  But day by day, I see the girls break out of their shells a little more.  Today they all were doing moves here and there and I fully suspect that by Friday, they will be dancing whole heartedly.

It is great to see kids open up.  I love doing art with them.  They say funny things and it is shaping up to be a great week.

I think this week is just what I needed.  Sure, I may not have a job, I am sleeping on the floor, and I don't really know anyone here... but this week has been a rescue from all of that.  A change of scene and thought.  I believe I am getting just as much out of this week of Kids Camp, as the kids are!

No comments:

Post a Comment