Sunday, May 25, 2014

Lemon Pound Cake

I found this recipe on Pinterest at the beginning of the year and I have since made it twice.  It is so easy and the cake comes out great each time.  It is moist and delicious!  I made it the first time, using the glaze recipe, but the second time I made it, I made a lemon buttercream frosting.  They say necessity breeds invention and that is very true in this case.  The only reason I made the buttercream frosting, is because I tried to remove the cake from the pan, before it was ready.  I took the entire top off of the cake and it broke in half.  So, I made the frosting to cover it up. Ha ha.

The horror!

Saved!  It's not the best looking cake I have ever made, but it still tasted great!


2 sticks butter

1/2 cup crisco

5 eggs (room temperature)

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

3 cups sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon lemon extract (I juice of 1/2 a lemon, instead)

(glaze) 1 lemon (juice and zest)
(glaze) few drops canola oil
(glaze) confectioner's sugar


1.  Grease and flour a tube pan and preheat the oven to 325º F.

2.  Cream the butter and crisco.

3.  Add the sugar and cream well.

4.  Add the eggs and mix well for about three minutes.

5.  Sift flour, salt, and baking powder together and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture.

6.  Add vanilla and lemon extracts and mix well for another three minutes.

7.  Pour the batter into the prepared tube pan.

8.  Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Note: Do not open the oven during the first hour of baking.

9.  When done, let cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from pan.  
     (I suggest letting it cool thoroughly.)

10.  When the cake is completely cooled, juice one lemon and add zest from one lemon, a couple drops   
       of canola oil and stir in enough confectioner's sugar to make glaze a nice pouring consistency.

11.  Drizzle all over the cake, letting the glaze run over the edges and into the hole in the center of the 
       cake.

12.  Leave the cake uncovered for an hour or longer so the glaze will dry a bit before serving.  This will 
       keep the glaze from becoming sticky.

13.  Now admire your creation, fix a cup of tea or coffee, cut that cake and enjoy!

If you need to save your cake, like I needed to save mine, you might want to use this buttercream:

1/3 cup butter

4-1/2 cups confectioner's sugar

1/4 cup milk

1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Milk

1.  Beat butter until fluffy.

2.  Gradually add 2 cups sugar beating well.

3.  Slowly beat in 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.  (I only put a splash of milk and left out the vanilla.)

4.  Slowly beat in remaining sugar.

5.  Beat in additional milk if needed.  (I used juice of a medium lemon.  Frosting became a bit too thin for my liking, so I added a bit more sugar and et voila!)

6.  You may tint frosting with food coloring if you desire.

7.  This will frost tops and sides of 8" or 9" layer cakes.

(Skeleton of this recipe is from the Stater Brother's brand Confectioner's Sugar)

This really is so yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment