Friday, June 27, 2014

T-Shirt Quilt

A little over a year ago, a friend asked me, if I would make her a quilt, out of some old t-shirts.  I of course told her yes. I enjoy making quilts... scratch that. I enjoy the finished product. I however really do not enjoy cutting out this and that. To be honest I always feel like a 90 year old living in my body, whilst quilting. My back aches, I get tired and cranky.  Ha ha. Truly, I quite enjoy giving a quilt away. People are always so happy and that makes me happy.

So, a year ago I got her t-shirts and I immediately started to cut them down to size. I think I cut 4 before I called it quits. I recently picked the shirts back up about a month ago and worked on the quilt for one day. Well, I am happy to say that I finished the quilt this week. It is just too bad that it took me a year to do so. In the grand scheme of things, I really did put this quilt together pretty fast... just with many days and hours in between.

If you are planning to make a t-shirt quilt, do not forget to iron on pellon fusible web! Otherwise, when you are cutting and sewing the jersey knit will stretch, and stretch, and stretch! And you will be sad, sad, sad! If you want to make something like this, my blocks are 12x 17 and the white strips are 3 inches wide (blocks and strip width are before sewing).

Here is the finished product:


The front.

The back.

I did not follow a pattern for this. Sometimes, you just have to be free and sew where the needle takes you. The back is a lovely grey flannel. I always choose flannel for the backs of my quilts, because it is just so cozy!

What have you been sewing lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment