Monday, July 13, 2015

A Book in Review: A Mad, Wicked Folly (Plus a Recipe)

Image from www.goodreads.com


A Mad, Wicked Folly was so fun! I read it in less than 24 hours. I couldn't put it down! I was rooting Victoria on to freedom the whole way through. PC Fletcher is the bees knees and I just loved his character. I'm an avid baker and I was happy to see that the author included a recipe for Victoria's favorite Pikelets. I'll have to give them a go. The history involved in this story was top notch. There were several moments when I actually laughed out loud and some where I shouted 'Why!!!' or 'what??!!'. It certainly kept my attention. I highly recommend this book!

My book is currently on loan, so I did not get to make the Piklet recipe listed in the back of the book. However, I did find this recipe on Pinterest and they turned out well.

In case you do not know, Pikelets are essentially miniature pancakes. Who doesn't like pancakes?!




Pikelets

1          cup self-rising flour, sifted (or 150g)

1/2       teaspoon baking powder

1          banana, mashed

2          tablespoon honey, plus extra to serve

3/4       cup milk (or 180ml)

1          egg

yogurt and fresh berries, to serve

Place baking powder and flour in a bowl. Make a well in the center. Place banana, honey, milk, and egg in a separate bowl and whisk to combine. Gradually add the banana mixture to the flour and mix until smooth. Heat a lightly greased non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add tablespoonfuls of batter to the pan and cook in batches, for 2 minutes or until bubble appear on the surface. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until a light golden color. Serve with yogurt, honey, and berries. (Or anything you would like, really. Like jam! Or nutella!) Makes 20. (I got 27)

Tip: Place pikelets in zip lock bag for up to two months. 

For the original recipe: Donna Hay's perfect Pikelets




No comments:

Post a Comment