Sunday, July 3, 2016

Bon Appetit Desserts: Cinnamon-Sugar Plum Cake

We're plum lucky to get two plum recipes in a row! I mean... I really like plums! I was happy to find another recipe that utilizes their amazingness!

This cake comes together in two shakes. It is so simple. It looks beautiful as you pull it from the oven. The plums half hidden, half exposed in the cake. As I took the cake from the oven I was filled with joy. There is something to be said about mixing a few common ingredients and getting a different and glorious result every time. Baking is something that I can continually come back to and nothing has changed. I know it and it knows me. We are old friends and whenever we get back together, it is like no time has passed.

This cake to me, looks like a little art piece. I did not want to cut into it... but alas, I did.

(I think the baking process was really enhanced by the music of Agnes Obel playing in the background. You should check her out!)



Cinnamon-Sugar Plum Cake 6-8 servings

1-1/4       cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1             teaspoon baking powder

1/4          teaspoon salt

1/2          cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

3/4          cup plus 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar

2             large eggs

1             tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1             teaspoon finely grated lemon peel

5             large plums (about 1-1/4 pounds), pitted, cut into 1/2-inch wedges

1/4          teaspoon ground cinnamon



Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in 3/4 cup sugar. Add eggs 1 at a time, then lemon juice and lemon peel, beating until blended after each addition. Beat in flour mixture. Spread batter into prepared pan.

Press plum wedges halfway into batter in concentric circles, spacing slightly apart. Mix remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon in small bowl; sprinkle over plums.

Bake cake until browned on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cut around cake; release pan sides. Serve cake warm or at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment