Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Bon Appetit Desserts: Deep Chocolate Pound Cake

I made Sunday's pound cake today, because I leave for a cruise that morning. So, I hope you do not mind that I got a head start.

This recipe can be found not only in my cookbook, but on the Bon Appetit website:Deep Chocolate Pound Cake

I think that it is important to note that I am using Fair Trade cocoa and chocolate in place of all regular cocoa and chocolate.  I urge you to do the same. I only had regular fair trade chocolate chips, so I chopped them up. Worked like a charm.

Let's get to it!

**Update: Out of all of the cakes that I have made so far, this has been the most dry. Even my mom who LOVES chocolate didn't enjoy this one much. I think that  there are probably better chocolate pound cake recipes out there, somewhere.**



Deep Chocolate Pound Cake

Mixing boiling water into the cocoa powder is the key  to creating a deep chocolate flavor.  This melts the cocoa butter and dispenses the cocoa throughout the batter.  Adding mini chocolate chips that melt into the cake intensifies the flavor even more.  Cut any leftover cake into cubes and layer it in glasses with sweetened whipped cream, fresh raspberries, and a touch of chocolate sauce for pretty individual trifles.  8 servings

2-1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup whole milk

1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 cup honey

2 Tablespoons boiling water

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350ºF.  Butter and flour 9x5x3-inch metal loaf pan; tap out excess flour.

Whisk flour, baking powder, coarse salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Whisk sour cream and milk in a small bowl.

Sift cocoa into another small bowl.  Whisk in honey and 2 Tablespoons boiling water until smooth.  Cool completely.

Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in another medium bowl until light an fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Beat in eggs 1 at a time, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl.  Beat in vanilla.  Add cooled cocoa mixture; stir until smooth; occasionally scraping down sides of bowl.  Beat in flour mixture alternately with sour cream mixture in 2 additions each until just blended.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top.  Bake until tester inserted in middle comes out clean, about 1 hour and 8 minutes.  remove cake from pan and cool.

This is yet another quick recipe.  I know that I am only 2 recipes in to my self-imposed baking challenge, but I am really digging the easy feel I get from these recipes.

*Photo taken by me.*

No comments:

Post a Comment