Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas Baking

I decided to get a lot of my Christmas baking done today.  I put on NSYNC Christmas and got started, just to discover after making each dough, that they all need to chill over night. I might just allow them to chill for the day.  Below you will find two of the recipes that I made today.




Snickerdoodles:  
I got this recipe in the 8th grade.  I had a great Home Ec class!  I make these almost every year, so you would think I would remember that the dough needs to be chilled.  Ha ha.  One of the better Snickerdoodle recipes I have come across.


1             cup margarine, softened  (I use butter)


1- 1/2      cup sugar


2-3/4       cup flour


1             teaspoon baking soda


1/2          teaspoon salt


2             eggs


4             teaspoons cinnamon


1/4          cup sugar


Cream margarine or butter.  Slowly add 1-1/2 cup sugar, then eggs.


Mix together flour, baking soda, and salt.  Add to creamed mixture.


Chill dough overnight.


Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon.


Shape dough into balls about the size of walnuts and roll in the cinnamon & sugar mixture.


Place 2 inches apart on an un-greased baking sheet.


Bake until golden, about 10 minutes at 350ºF.




Old- Fashioned Pepprakakor:
This is my Great Grandma Adcock's recipe.  I hear she was a great baker.  She taught my mom.  I am thankful for that, because baking has always been a huge part of my life and I think I am quite good at it myself. (Not meaning to be tooting my own horn here.) So, it must be a family thing.  My great grandma was in utero when her parents came to the states from Sweden.  I never got to meet my great grandma, but I feel like through the recipes she left behind, I can see a bit of who she was.  Enjoy this recipe!  I made it for the first time today and the dough is delicious!




Makes 7-8 dozen


3-1/2            cups sifted flour


1                  teaspoon baking soda


1-1/2            teaspoons ginger


1-1/2            teaspoons cinnamon


1                  teaspoon cloves, ground


1/4               teaspoon cardamom, ground


1/2               cup butter, softened


3/4               cup sugar


1                  egg, unbeaten


3/4               cup light molasses


2                  teaspoons grated orange rind


Sift together flour, soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom.


Cream butter and sugar together well.  Add egg and molasses, and orange rind; mix well.


Stir in the dry ingredients gradually, mixing until well blended.


Cover and chill over night.


Roll out 1/3 of the dough at a time, on a well floured surface to 1/8-in thickness.


Cut out with cookie cutters.


Place on greased cookie sheets.  


If desired, place a blanched almond half in the center of each cookie.


Bake at 375ºF for 8 to 10 minutes.




Eat them up!  Please let me know if you try either of these recipes.  Merry Christmas!!


(I'll post photos once the cookies are baked!)







No comments:

Post a Comment