Monday, January 21, 2013

Classic Tomato Soup Cake

My mom has this cookbook called:  'The Back of the Box Gourmet'.  She has had it for a looooong time.  In fact, she's had it so long, that I decided I wanted one of my own and a few years ago, I purchased my own copy.

BUT I CANNOT FIND IT ANYWHERE!  Ugh.   Don't things like that bother you so much?

I had wanted to try this recipe for quite some time.  I borrowed my mom's cookbook the other day and got to work.


Poor lighting? Of course.  Does it still look tempting?  I hope so!



Here is the recipe for 'Classic Tomato Soup Cake:
(I'll include the little diddy from the book as well.)

Sometimes called Tomato Cake or Mystery Cake, the otherwise fairly traditional spice cake gains moisture,a touch of flavor and an attractive reddish-orange color from the can of tomato soup in the batter.  When you think about it, it's no odder that using mayonnaise or salad dressing, now is it?

2         cups all-purpose flour
1-1/3   cups sugar
4         teaspoons baking powder
1         teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2   teaspoons ground allspice
1         teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2      teaspoon ground cloves
1         can (10-3/4 ounces) CAMPBELL'S condensed Tomato Soup
1/2      cup shortening
2         eggs
1/4      cup water



1.  Preheat oven to 350ºF.  grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.  (I used a bundt.)

2.  In large bowl, combine all ingredients.  With mixer at low speed, beat until well mixed, constantly scraping bowl with rubber spatula.  At high speed, beat 4 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl.  Pour into prepared pan(s).

3.  Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pan(s) on wire racks 10 minutes.  Remove from pans; cool completely.  Frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting if desired.  Makes 12 servings.  (I made a half batch of 5 minute frosting on the back of the powdered sugar box.)

5 Minute Buttercream Frosting Recipe

1      lb. box of C&H Pure Cane Powdered Sugar
1/4   cup milk
1      tsp. vanilla extract
1      stick salted butter (softened)

Beat with electric mixer 2 minutes, scraping bowl often.  For thinner consistency add milk a little at a time.  Frosts one 8-inch 2-layer cake.


GILDING THE LILY:  Add 1 cup raisins and/or 1 cup walnuts to the batter.  Frost with vanilla frosting.


**BTW this is soooooo good!**

No comments:

Post a Comment