Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Black Bean Soup

I am not a huge fan of soup... never have been.  However, I really love the black bean soup served at Panera Bread.  It is just so good!  So, I have been wanting to make my own black bean soup for quite some time now. I recently found a recipe from my beloved Pioneer Woman.

I made this recipe on Sunday and I must say that it is quite good.  I will most likely add more spiciness to it the next time that I make it.

I think that you should try it out!  
(Recipe is taken straight from the Pioneer Woman's website)


Photo by: The Pioneer Woman



  • 1 pound Dried Black Beans
  • 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
  • 2 cups Water
  • 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
  • 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Seeded And Diced
  • 1 whole Green Bell Pepper, Seeded And Diced
  • 1 whole Yellow Bell Pepper, Seeded And Diced
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt (more To Taste)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon Cumin

  • FIXINS
  • Sour Cream
  • Avocado, diced
  • Cilantro Leaves
  • Lime Wedges
  • Corn Tortillas Cut Into Strips

Preparation Instructions

Place the beans in a bowl or pot, cover with cold water, and allow to soak overnight *OR* add beans to a medium pot and cover with hot water. Bring to a boil, then boil for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and allow the beans to sit for 1 hour. Drain the beans and rinse them with cold water.
In a medium pot, add beans, chicken stock, water, onions, and bell peppers. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. At that time, add salt, chili powder, and cumin and stir. Cover and continue simmering for another 30 minutes to 1 hour, until the liquid level is to your liking (anywhere from very thick to a thinner soup is fine!)
Taste for seasoning and add more of what it needs. Serve soup in a bowl with sour cream, extra diced bell pepper, avocado, cilantro, tortilla strips, and a lime wedge.

If you would like to print this out from the Pioneer Woman, herself,  go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment