Friday, May 30, 2014

I Read The Book Before It Was A Movie

If you haven't realized yet, my life beyond family and friends (and my career), is all about books, movies, music, baking, and art.

The other day, I got to thinking about all of the books that I have read, that are now movies.  Most I read before they were movies altogether, some were read as the movie was being released; and some were read, without knowing they were movies.

So, I went through my Goodreads 'read' list to see how many books I really have read that are now movies.  The list below will be broken into two parts:  1.  Book First, 2. Movie First (This means that I read the book after I saw the movie.  I had to even things up a bit.)  If there is an '*' next to the book, that means that I read the book without knowing it was indeed a movie, or that I read the book before I saw the movie, if I saw it at all.

Ok, here we go!

theberry.com


Book First

The Twilight Saga (3)
The Hunger Games Series (3)
The Harry Potter Series (7)
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
The Devil Wears Prada
The Hobbit
Where the Red Fern Grows*
The Lovely Bones
Oliver Twist*
Great Expectations*
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
Coraline
Speak
James and the Giant Peach
Love Comes Softly
Loves Enduring Promise
Loves Abiding Joy
Tuck Everlasting*
The Girl with the Pearl Earring*
The Book Thief*
Divergent*
The Indian in the Cupboard
Unbroken
The Godfather*
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil*
The Time Traveler's Wife
My Sisters Keeper
The Sookie Stackhouse Series (books 1-9) (True Blood Show)
The Help
Where the Heart Is
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (became a show)
The Haunting of Toby Jugg*
A Series of Unfortunate Events (books 1-6)
Tuesdays with Morrie*
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
In Her Shoes
A Walk to Remember
Everything is Illuminated*
The Notebook
Water for Elephants (I love this book and the movie wasn't bad, either!)
Reservation Road
House of Sand and Fog
Running with Scissors
Where the Wild Things Are
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn*
Atonement
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Dislike the book, LOVE the musical)
The Secret Life of Bees
Lord of the Flies*
The Kite Runner

That is a total of 62 books that I read before they were movies or before I saw the movie.  That is pretty good.  I suspect that since I don't have every book I have ever read listed on my Goodreads account, that I may have to add a little more to list at a later date and time.


Movie First

Anne of Green Gables (read books 1-2 later)
Stardust
The Nanny Diaries (movie is way better)
Chocolat
To Kill a Mockingbird (I grew up watching this, my mom loves it)
Mansfield Park
Sense & Sensibility
Little Women (love book and movie with Susan Sarandon)
The Secret Garden (the Hallmark version is the best)
Holes (currently reading)
Cloud Atlas (to read, waiting on bookshelf)
Marry Poppins
Bridget Jones' Diary
Bridget Jones' Diary: The Edge of Reason
A Christmas Carol
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Phantom of the Opera (book, movie, musical= all good!)
Treasure Island
Fried Green Tomatoes and the Whistle Stop Cafe (book and movie are great)
Q & A (a.k.a. Slumdog Millionaire) (Movie is better)
I love You Beth Cooper (bad book, didn't see the movie)
About a Boy (book and movie are great!)
Princess Bride (book and movie are awesome!)
Into the Wild (I only saw part of the movie, loved the book)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Crucible 

That is a total of 26 movies that I saw before I read the book.

What books have you read before they became movies?  Or which movies did you like more than the book?  Please let me know, by leaving a comment.  Thanks!

Do these lists really matter in the grand scheme of my life?  No, but it is fun to look at.  I hope that throughout the rest of the year you get to read some great books and seem some fun movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment