Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Bon Appetit Desserts: Glazed Lime Cake

Hello. I made this cake about two weeks ago. I had a week off from my masters program, so I have been reading as much as possible. If I have a moment, I'll post a review of those 5 books. For now, you are going to have to be okay with a recipe.

This is probably one of the easiest cakes that you are going to make from the Bon Appetit book. I tasted it when it had been cooling for a while and I did not like it. To me, it tasted a bit salty. I am guessing that that has to do with the self-rising flour. However, after it sat for a day, I tried it again and I liked it. The salty taste had pretty much gone away. If you do not enjoy the taste of lime, do not make this cake. It is just a lime in the disguise of a cake. It is tart and delicious and a little bit sweet. Yum!



Glazed Lime Cake

If you do not have self-rising flour, use all purpose flour instead and add 1-3/4 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

I'm going to try the recipe again with out the self-rising flour.


3/4        cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, room temperature

2-1/2    cups powdered sugar, divided

2          large eggs, room temperature

1/4       cup milk

1-1/3    cups self-rising flour

4          large limes (I had to use 6)

6          tablespoons sugar

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan. Using electric mixer, beat butter and 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar in large bowl until well blended. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Beat in milk, then flour. Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top. Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 33 minutes.

Meanwhile, finely grate enough lime peel to measure 1 tablespoon. Halve limes; squeeze enough juice  to measure 6 tablespoons. Stir lime peel, lime juice and 6 tablespoons sugar in small bowl until sugar dissolves. Set lime syrup aside.

Using skewer, poke holes all over cake. Spoon 2-1/2 tablespoons lime syrup into another small bowl; reserve for glaze. Spoon all remaining lime syrup evenly over hot cake. Cool cake completely in pan on rack.

Whisk remaining 1 cup powdered sugar into reserved 2-1/2 tablespoon lime syrup; drizzle glaze over cake. Let stand 1 hour. Cut cake into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment