Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Green Book

I bought 'The Green Book' a couple of years ago.  I read a few pages then and was bored.  Since I just moved, I pulled it out of my book box when I was re-shelving.

I got this book in the first place, because I am a big recycler.  I always have been.  I try not to use more water than I need (still working on cutting down my shower time).  I have a water filter and use reuseable bottles (BPA free) like Nalgene.

With that in mind, I began reading 'The Green Book' again.  I read the whole thing in about thirty minutes.  Is this possible?  Yes, and here is why.  You quickly realize that in order to go completely green, you would, like many of the contributors of this book, need to be a millionaire.

Don't buy this, buy that.  Plant  twenty-five foot trees around your house.  Plant fisteen foot bushes to act as a wind break.  Buy solar paneling.  Change all products in your home to recycled ones (wouldn't this just create more trash?)... from counter tops to carpets... make sure you have double paned windows, and the list goes on.

This all sounds great and I aspire to such things, but let us be honest.  Expensive items for your home usually are recycled ones.  I mean, if I want to send cards made of recycled paper, I have to want to spend an extra four dollars.  Not only does this push me toward bankruptcy, but it also makes me wonder if whomever receives those cards I am sending is going to recycle them.

Is being green good?  yes.  However, I feel we should all do something that we know we can do and feel good about, to do our part.  We shouldn't feel inadequate because we can't afford to do certain green things.  We shouldn't feel like we have to paint our homes with less toxic paint than it came with and plant an entire forest in our yard... because let's face it, that's really pricey and a tad unrealistic.

The follwoing list is just from the food section of the shopping chapter.  I didn't even list everything.  Again, I support recycling and making smarter choices for the environment.  I just wish there was a way, for even the poorest person to participate.

You'll be happy to know that I am recycling this book by giving it to the good will book store.

.  Buy your bread fresh from the bakery (time consuming I would think)
.  Don't buy double wrapped breads
.  Buy bulk canned goods (what if I don't want 86 ounces of kidney beans?  I would then be wasting food)
.  Only buy organic, fair trade, and bird friendly (expensive!!)
.  Shop at the farmer's market (expensive!!)
. Only buy what you need (duh!)
.  Buy soy products
.  Re-use grocery bags
.  Choose fresh anything over canned if you can.

Ugh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment