Sunday, July 24, 2011

Two Books in Review

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver



This photo is from Spectrum Magazine.


I had no idea what this book was about when I bought it a few years ago and I still had no idea when I began to read it a few weeks ago.  I knew that I liked the cover. It was colorful and looked cool.  I was curious that is for sure.  I did not know many people who had read it, or even heard of it for that matter.

So, I dove into the words.  At first I had a hard time transitioning into Kingsolvers way of writing, but once I got over that I zoomed through the book.  It really is well written and tells a great story of a family that goes through some major changes.  That might be an understatement.  There are some things that happen at the end of the book, that I did see coming and definitely some things that I never dreamed of.

Over all, quite a good story and I am glad that I read it.  If my synopsis is a little too vague, I did that on purpose.  I've left this book open to your interpretation.  Read this book for an experience you won't regret.



Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg


This photo is from bookrags.com

I grew up watching this movie.  It is one of my moms favorite movies, as well as one of mine.  I have always enjoyed this story.  I wanted it to be my first book selection, for my book club, but I went in another direction.  I am so glad that I finally got to read this book.

I only just started it a couple of days ago and I am already finished.  It is such an easy and fun book to read.  Those of you who are familiar with the movie, might find a few things amiss, but most things from the book are the same in the movie.

As you know someone dies in this book and that someone was particularly close to my grandma's age when she passed, recently.  When I got to this part of the book last night, I cried, silently in the bathroom for about 10 to 15 minutes.  I really miss my grandma and all of that emotion hits me randomly.  Why cry in the bathroom??  Well, my friend went to bed early and I didn't want to wake her.

Putting my grandma aside for a moment... it really was a good book.  A fun and light summer read.  Pick it up today.  And if you are lucky, you will get it at a used book store for one dollar, just like I did

No comments:

Post a Comment